February 14, 2009

Sigh of relief...

Yesterday was one of the first doctors appointments for this new little one about to join our family. I was honestly freaking myself out. I haven't seen the doctor in 6 weeks... now I know that doesn't seem like forever, but with my first I went every four. We I was suppose to see him last week, but he was out of town... dang doctor. Well these last two weeks I have started freaking myself out. I am so much more worried with this pregnancy than with my first. So yesterday we went to the doctors, and well he came in and we heard a heartbeat. When I heard that my mind was set at ease. Everything was going to be fine. I remember with Aubrey that when I heard her heartbeat for the first time, I was kind of like, oh ok. And that was it. With this one, the doctor just left the heart radio, (that is what I call it anyway), on my belly for a long time. The longer it was on there, the more safe I felt. It was really weird and comforting at the same time. But then the big news was... we can find out what we are having at our next appointment. When he said that, I had to sit back and think for a minute. Wow... I am already that far... I can't believe it. August seems so far away and for some reason for the doctor to say that at the next appointment we will can know what we are having, it just made it seem much more closer and real.

I guess this in more of a babbling post, but it has been really nice to have that check with the doctor. There are so many things that you can't control in a pregnancy, and with this pregnancy, I have found my mind wandering in way too many possibilities.

Don and I found out that I was pregnant at just a little over 3 weeks. This has made for a really long period. And telling people right away was not hard for me, because we had waited so long for those two lines.

I remember the day that I found out plain as day. The day after Thanksgiving I got up and hit the sales... great sales... and the day went on like normal. Then I went to bed early that night because I was exhausted. I woke up at like 4 in the morning and Don's little brother was sleeping over that night and he was on the couch in the living room. We were dealing with date timing... like this day do this and this day do this... well I missed the day where I was suppose to take the prego test, and it was 3 days late. So I got up and thought what the hay... with the other test that was taken earlier, I know this prego test will be negative. So I took the test. And if was my first digital one... it was the only one I had, so hey lets go for it. That little timer took FOREVER!!! It was only suppose to take one minute... but it was like five. My mind the whole time was saying you already know the outcome, so don't get your hopes up... you are just confirming what you know. And then it popped up... PREGNANT I seriously couldn't believe it. I wanted to scream! Seriously!?!?! For real!?!?! Well at that point there was no hope of sleeping. I felt bad that Don was asleep, but I went and kissed him on the lips and he woke up... and I told him, I couldn't not wake you. We're pregnant! Kissy, kissy, rejoice. We sat on it and thought about it... and then by the time it was oh eight o'clock, doubt set in. If all the tests were negative, and this one is positive, how? The other test it what allows us to get prego...

Later on that same day... We had family pictures with Don's family, (still waiting on those pictures), and it was the hardest thing not to tell anyone. I just wanted to shout it. Well I didn't keep it in to everyone. So then Monday I worked and made arrangements with the Dr.'s to have my blood drawn that day to get a blood confirmation. I was just really skeptical. And I didn't want it to not be true. So they told me the test would take 2 days to get the results. Ok what is another two days. So the nurse calls me on Wednesday... they tested my blood on the wrong test. (Thinking I was prego), not something you want to tell an emotional prego lady. :) So I would have to go in and have my blood redrawn, only to take two more days, and I was already far enough away from the Dr's that I would have to wait till the next Monday for the results. We ended up getting the results back faster than expected... Yay!!! it was for sure. So our lovely little story of how we started with our second.

2 comments:

j said...

i totally get the anxiety with the 2nd pregnancy. i am constantly wondering if what i feel and experience this time go round is like the first or not (which was 5 years ago!!!!). i agree, the heartbeat is incredibly comforting. now that the kicking is happening- that's a lot to ease my mind.
i can't believe you get to find out so soon what you're having!!! amazing! :)

Emily said...

What a great story - I'm sure you feel that much more blessed knowing how much you wanted this pregnancy - and what an exciting time to hear the heartbeat of this new baby!